[SEL] OT PA trip - saw some old iron......

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Jun 5 05:19:51 PDT 2007

Left for PA from IA early Friday May 25th. While passing through Indiana,
saw a flatbed with a large engine, looked like those large "oil field"
engines some of you fellers have. It occupied pretty much 10' or so of
that flatbed.
On the way back to Iowa, saw more than one load of old iron, a couple with
some engines mixed in the bunch - was there something going on that
weekend?
This was later Sunday the 27th and what I saw was headed east through
Indiana.
Wow, for the tolls, and the highest gas prices of the entire trip, Indiana
roads SUCK, sorry, but Iowa, Illinois, Ohio and PA have got Indiana beat
hands-down in highway quality AND gas prices (although Ohio gas scared us
a bit, too). For such high gas taxes and those tolls, you'd
expect.............. while PA was the most expensive in tolls, their
highways were good and you can see that money went to tunnels, bridges and
all the extra engineering in their highways through the hills.
Iowa gas was 3.09 when we left, it went up from there with Ohio at about
3.49, Indiana at 3.59 and PA at 2.99 to 3.04.
(*When I got back Iowa had shot up to 3.29, but has settled to 2.99 since.)
PA cost us 60 bucks just to get through and back out, but they made up for
it in nice roads and shortcuts through those ridges and all. $9 just for
the privilage of entering the state of PA, then the tolls start.
My friend Doug, who made the trip with me, did a fantastic write-up here:
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=10670.0
and here it sits at home:
http://theamcpages.com/images/eagle-wagon/eagle-wagon-patrip27.jpg
The thing rode very well back there, straight and true. I felt it on the
hills, it kept me at about 55 much of PA, but otherwise was well behaved.
The car if the engine had been in it would be about 3500 - the engine rode
in the back of the pickup.
The tarp is because it's electric windows, there is no battery and the
driver window was down. I've just not carried a battery to it so I can
"roll" the window up.

Bill
Runnells, Iowa
Chapman/OWE&PCo. Registry and History