[SEL] 32volt Delco light plant

JR504 at aol.com JR504 at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 18:05:02 PDT 2007

In a message dated 7/31/2007 8:04:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rustaholic777 at yahoo.com writes:

That  page said to use two 12 Volt batteries and one 8 Volt battery to get 32
 Volts.  I still haven't checked out the source mentioned to buy 8 Volt
batteries though.

The problem with using two 12V + 8V (or 6V) batteries is that it is pretty
much impossible to find batteries with the same internal resistance.  Same
goes for using 3 different types of 12V batteries.  You are charging them  in
series, so if the internal resistance is different the voltage drops  across them
will all be different.  One battery can overcharge and one not  charge much
at all.  Even though it might not sound like that's possible,  try measuring
the voltage across each battery as the light plant is  running.  Let's say the
light plant is charging 39V.  That's 13V  each.  If the batteries are different
I've witnessed voltage drops from  10V-17V...one discharging (if it was
charged) and one being overccharged.

Also, as Arnie mentioned, any 3 identical 12V gadgets can be wired in  series
and will run quite nicely on a light plant.

Joe