[SEL] Tank Cooled Engine - Pipe Fitting Suggestions Needed

Peter Scales peter at loud-n-clear.net
Sun Jul 29 09:55:48 PDT 2007

Hi Arnie

I have good experience with 22mm compression tank fittings in the UK - these
comprise a threaded stub with backplate and neoprene washer and an external
nut to clamp them to the tank wall, plus the usual compression nut and olive
for the pipe.  They seal up really well and the tank nut only needs to be
done up just over finger-tight.  Picture at
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/22mm+tank+connector+washer/pid/1418
296 - cheap as chips (french fries) here.  There exist 3/4" BSP versions
that might just mate with an NPT fitting.

Lister used to do it with a 3/4" BSP (like NPT) socket brazed to a
backplate, inserted through a hole in the tank wall and riveted at each
corner.  The whole lot was hot dip galvanised afterwards and I guess the
zinc was what sealed it up properly.

Let me know if you would like any fitting posted to you?  A good site is
http://www.bes.co.uk/ - every kind of pipe fitting known to man....

Regards

     Pete
--