[SEL] Japan

William Young wmlyoung at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 07:10:15 PDT 2007

TO:  SEL Lads ( & Lasses)
FROM;  YOUR man in Japan, Bill Young

  The Japanese chap you mention is a good friend of mine.  He has visited me several times.
  His English is about equal to my Japanese, both approaching zero.  I told him to forget the translator, send to me in Japanese and I will get some one to help.
    Safety measures in Japan also approach zero.  At rallies, ( no roped off area) kids go tearing around running engines.  Smoking and gassing up go together as does apple pie and ice cream.  The old geezers come along and start tweaking the carb and governor.  The toothless guy will tell you that he lost his teeth many years ago when the crank handle slipped off and kissed him in the kisser.  The guy with half of one arm missing has a different tale to tell, but only slightly.
    Don't worry about those kids.  If there is an accident and blood gets on your engine, the parents will soon be around to apologize.
    Peter, gotta differ with you a bit.  If you saw any engines with a charcoal fire on top, they would be two stroke-cycle engines.  They were junk engines in their day, thrown away at first opportunity to get something better, therefore few survived.  Just a few years ago they could be had for about the equivalent of U.S.$2000.  Now, owners are refusing $6,000.  Bill

  OT replies:  wmyoung at juno.ocn.ne.jp