[SEL] Maybe OT; steam pipe

mullt at att.net mullt at att.net
Thu Jul 19 07:25:28 PDT 2007

Most new hospitals have central steam plants. The steam has a number of uses in a hospital including heating of the building, domestic hot water, humidificaction, sterilization and a number of other uses. It can also provide cooling with absrobption chillers. Several of the older college campuses have central steam plants and when a new building is built, it is usually connected to the steam system.

St. Louis has a steam loop in the downtown area. Most of the new buildings are connected to the steam loop for heating, etc. There is a steam boiler plant in a building near the downtown area. I think it used to burn coal in the boilers  but uses natural gas now. At one time, they were looking a burning trash to generate steam but that turned out to not be economically feasible.

Tom in St. Louis

From: "Elden DuRand" <edurand at mchsi.com>