[SEL] Maybe OT; steam pipe

Lew Best bee_keeper at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 06:14:01 PDT 2007

Hey guys

Been seeing the stuff on the news bout the steam pipe rupture in NYC;
got a curiosity.

I recall seeing steam coming up from grids, etc. in Chicago & NYC when
we visited there when I was a little kid.  Here in the south one never
sees that AFAIK unless it's maybe in bigger cities (Dallas, etc.) than
here.  Down here there are no steam lines buried under the streets I
don't think.  According to the news they said steam pipe leaks happen up
there fairly often; just not "big bangs" like this one.

My curiosity is what is this steam for?  Where is it produced?  They
said this pipe dated back to 1924.

Lew Best near Waco, TX

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7/17/2007 6:30 PM