[SEL] Jeager Engine

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Sun Jan 28 18:19:21 PST 2007

At 08:11 PM 1/28/2007, you wrote:
>I am new to small engines and I am looking to purchase my first engine.
>There is an engine for sale near me and I am trying to get a feel for what
>it is worth before I go any farther
>It is a  Yeager, 2hp with a Wico mag. It is a "barn fresh" engine and I
>believe it is running.
>Does anyone have a feel for what a fair price to pay for such an engine
>would be? I am in Missouri. Thanks for any input.
>Tom

Hi Tom,
         A Jaeger (or any other Hercules built engine) is a VERY good
choice for a first engine! While the condition will dictate the price of
the engine that you are looking at, if it is (indeed) a running engine it
is worth at least $600.00. If it's not running then the following should be
considered:
                 1.) No compression--no big deal most likely, but rings
will cost you ~$30.00.
                 2.) Bad Mag--this could be a big deal and cost you
$200.00+ to get it repaired.
                 3.) Bad bearings--(This would not keep the engine from
running) could cost you ~$60.00 if all of them are bad.
                 4.) Bad gas tank--this could cost you ~$50.00.
It's really hard to determine a price w/out seeing the engine first hand,
but start LOW--you can always increase your offer. And remember, there are
a lot of Hercules built engines out there for sale!
         Dave