[SEL] Re: New Engine

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:23:15 PST 2007

On 28/01/07, Gary Epps <garyepps at fidnet.com> wrote:

> A little engine followed me home yesterday.  It has Stuart cast on the
> crankcase behind the flywheel.  There is only one flywheel which is solid
> with cast in pulley.  It is a vertical  with external pushrods and rocker
> are assembly on the head.  The magneto is a Lucas and I find no name on the
> carb, just the word Birmingham.  Is has a large gas tank for the size of the
> engine.  There is a large rectangular copper cooling tank that is plumbed
> with brass pipe.  The gas tank mounts to an upright pipe frame and the water
> tank sets on a board on he rack.  I have posted some pics at
>
> http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009664&a=32450641&f=
>
> I hope this works, this is the first time I have posted pics on a website.
> What I would like to find out is exactly what do I have?  I would like to
> have an idea about what it was used for, how many horsepower and whether it
> looks like it may be complete.   It is apparently a British engine.  Perhaps
> someone can point me to a web site or two that might have information.
> Thank you in advance for any information you can share.
>
> Gary
> In the Ozark Mountains of southern Missouri in the south central part of the
> USA, where both life and I move slowly.

Nice and clear pictures, Gary.

Stuart-Turner made thousands of small power engines, mainly
two-strokes, since the early 1900's, but they also turned out a very
large range of models, and castings for making your own engines. They
had a very nice series of small open-crank engines that are much
sought-after these days.

I am not a Stuart expert and don't have sufficient information to
identify your engine, but it looks like it could be an unusual find as
most of their engines were two-cycle.

The few we have are mainly P55 marine twins and the two-stroke
pressure-charged H2M diesel, details of that one on our website.

The one guy who would have known about it is no longer with us, Brian
Sharp was the expert on matters Stuart but he passed away a year or so
ago and his collection sold.

Production engine details and manuals are available from Fairways
Marine for a fee.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes