[SEL] More Rivet Pictures on Muffler

Rupert Wenig rwenig at telus.net
Sat Jan 27 06:33:51 PST 2007

Hello Paul,
	I just looked it up in my book on aircraft riveting. This is for
aluminum rivets but info for steel rivets should be similar. It tells me
to use a 3/32" brazier head rivet 1/4" long to get heads that would look
similar to those in the pictures. The riveting was most likely done at
the factory using a squeeze riveting machine.
	It's not worth heating a rivet that small as it would cool before you
could do any head forming. This is how I would do it- Install the rivet
from the inside and use a heavy bar mounted in a vise to hold the rivet
in place and to use as a bucking bar for the inside. I wouldn't be too
concerned if the head gets deformed as it won't be seen anyway. You
could drill or machine a dimple in the bar to set the rivet head into if
you want to maintain the head shape. I would form the outside head with
simple swift blows using about an 8 oz. hammer. The head will form as
shown in your picture of the out side rivet head if you hit the end of
the rivet squarely. This takes a bit of practice to get it right. The
following formula give the proper dimensions of the formed head: dia. of
formed head= 1 1/2 x dia. of rivet; thickness of formed head= 1/2 x dia.
of rivet.
	A round head rivet should work well on the inside if you have trouble
finding a brazier head rivet.
	Hope that helps you out.
Rupert