[SEL] Riveting

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Jan 25 20:57:00 PST 2007

Those are rivet staking/setting tools in that bottom picture.
To use them you put the rivet through the parts with the preformed head
on the inside. Make sure that the rivet is long enough (usually you need
twice the diameter of the rivet to form a head. Put the rivet on a
suitable riveting buck (anvil horn or solid hunk of steel) Then you take
the heading tools you show in those pictures. Pick the one you need for
the rivet diameter. Slide the hole down over the rivet and hit the
header once to tighten the parts. Now you take the hammer and hit the
rivet stem STRAIGHT down once. This will upset the rivet and lock the
parts together. Now you take a hammer and form the head down until it is
ready for the final forming which is what you use the hollow depression
for. Put it on the head area you are forming and give the tool a GOOD
SOLID HIT and it should form the head into a nice even shape.

Most of the staking and heading tools I have are home smithed tools.
Maybe a project for a budding blacksmith on the list.....

Peter Lowe wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I am not the expert here but these are what I have and typically can't
> find the rest somewhere in my shed.
> http://www.oldengine.org/members/plowe/rv-engines/rivets.htm this is a
> dead link off my R&V site.
> You can see the form part of the tool, not sure what the hole is used
> for, I asked my Dad but he is not sure either. The other top hole goes
> down about 3/4" and has another hole coming in from the edge???
>
> Also look at:
> http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9354
>
> As has already been said, you can just shape a drill bit and drill into
> the end of a steel block, that then forms the head of the rivet. A piece
> of steel bar or flat can be used to flatten the rear side.
> I have used large welding rods, clean off the flux and cut to length,
> the tool will form a head for you,
>
> Regards
> Peter Lowe
> R&V Engine Registrar