[SEL] First Engine

Leroy oldengin at verizon.net
Sun Jan 21 09:03:36 PST 2007

Hi Tom,
the info you have been given is all good and correct and yes the 500.00 is
in the park of a good price. Now a couple of my thoughts for you to
ponder....
I always tell people that your first engin should be a runner, cause no
matter what you do to it you know that it did run. As far as compression the
"M" has always, from my experiance, been on the low side of things so this
is not the point to turn down this engin. BUT if the chap selling the engin
is honest then he will probably work with you on trying to start it the
first time for you. The governor fork is one important item to look at as
they wore out with these engins and I have seen some paper thin. A good hot
mag on an "M" will allow you to start this engin with one pull of the
flywheels when you get to know her, they run smooth, have an oiler to work
with and have a very good sound with lots of deep voice.  Still if you can
find some one of knowlege to help look it over for you this would be great.
Also pick up on the flywheels, one side at a time, to see if any slop is in
the babbits.
    Just my ramblings here    Leroy