[SEL] Thermo-Syphon ,

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 02:11:48 PST 2007

On 20/01/07, Skip Cleveland <skipcleveland at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> It hasn't gone too far for me, I am getting an education. What I did find is
> that the demise of the thermosyphon cooling system was partly due to the
> advent of the cross flow radiator which made things difficult to maintain an
> air free syphon system. The coolant would just percolate as has been
> mentioned. This didn't move the coolant fast enough for modern high power
> applications, a true syphon came close,  a water pump became mandatory.
> Stay tuned. I'll bet there is more to learn every day.
>
> Skip

Cross-flow radiators replaced vertical tube rads when bonnet lines
dropped and when water pump flow rates were high enough for it to work
against nature. Header tanks that were located away from the radiator
came in the 1960's.

I guess the 1950's was when water pumps generally became a fixture on
cars in the UK, our family  had an Austin 12 van in 1958 which was
purely thermo-syphon for cooling.

That was a side-valve engine.

The next car was a Ford Consul which was OHV and very up to date, with
a water pump as well. We had three of those, one after the other, I
guess my step-father liked them!

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes