[SEL] O.T.Report back on the Battery Fix (with a big grin)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Jan 19 12:56:56 PST 2007

Hi Guys,
          Thanks for all the replies and suggestions to last weeks (Off
Topic) post re how to revive an old battery. This thread went much further
and had more replies than I normally get for "On Topic" stuff.
         I promised an update so here it is.

         For all those who suggested buying expensive (or not so expensive)
things like special chargers or other equipment and even buying a new
battery  - I think you missed the point or did not read the original mail
so I'll recap.
         I had a 2 year old battery in one of my vehicles that was poked
because I seldom use it . I had already ordered another battery from a
friend who imports batteries but his shipment was only due in 2 weeks. I
rarely use this vehicle but had a need to do so at this time and did not
want to be hassled with switching batteries from other vehicles. I was
wondering if there was something that I could do to THAT battery to give it
about another 2 weeks life.

         The reason for ordering from my friend was threefold:
          1) His imported batteries are better than our locally
manufactured ones. They normally last longer. Our local batteries have a 1
year guarantee and last exactly 366 days.
         2) I prefer to support friends.
         3) He gives me a good discount <grin>.

         I got many constructive suggestions for which I am very thankful
but I never tried any of them because the problem was resolved by the
vehicle itself. The diesel fuel pump "packed up" so I could not use it
anyway. (this is where the "Big Grin" comes in).

         I still have the battery (new one arrives this week) and out of
interest will follow some of the suggestions I got. It seems like a good
idea to knock it on the paving a bit and then drain and flush the thing
(naked in the moonlight). I'll be doing this as an experiment to see if I
can get a bit more life out of it - not to save on the cost of replacing it.

Cheers for now and thanks for all the suggestions (good and bad)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Intntl.: +2716 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans