[SEL] Thermo-syphon Question

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Jan 19 05:11:21 PST 2007

I think JB's coining of the term percolating cooling is an excellent
description. These Moguls have the screen cooler mounted high above the
engine so that the contents of the water in the pan can all drain and
fill the block and head of the engine. There is no circulation of the
waterjacket water as the engine heats up, until it reaches 212° F. Only
when the water starts to boil do you see water making it up the return
line and to the distribution tube across the top of the screen cooler.
You see a healthy mix of steam out of the tube as well. This is probably
an ideal operating condition for our engines at shows. Since we hardly
work the engines allowing them to get really hot, this style cooling
system assures you get to at least 212° F. This is a vastly different
cooling system than the traditional thermosiphon system. With TS as soon
as there is a few degrees of differential temperature, circulation
begins and the block and head temperature is never warmer than the water
in the tank. With a loafing engine this leads to all kinds of water and
combustions products condensing on the cylinder and head walls of the
engine. A lot of times when slow running a hit and miss engines I'll
eliminate the water just to assure the engine gets warm enough to run
decent.
The walking beam Alamo I finished last summer has a fixed volume water
pump. I set up a bypass loop that allows the pump to continue working
and pumping water thru the trickle down tray cooler, yet thru a valve I
can independently control the flow thru the engine. When cold the water
is completely off to the engine and once hot enough that I can't keep a
hand on the cylinder head, I'll crack the valve open a 1/4 turn and
allow a small amount of water to flow thru the head and cylinder. This
has really worked out well and I think I'll add the same feature to the
8HP screen cooled Famous. It has WAY too much cooling for the work I can
put on the saw blade. Running hotter would be very beneficial.
Curt Holland
Gastonia. NC