[SEL] OFF TOPIC: (Spammers)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Jan 18 12:45:08 PST 2007

At 07:00 PM 18/01/2007, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: [SEL] OFF TOPIC:

Hi Mark,
         Don't worry too much about it  - it happens to me all the time -
the spammers and their worms forge your address as the sender. In my case
it normally goes on for about 2 weeks and then they pick on someone else
and it stops until the next time.
         They do it 2 ways in my case:
         1) They will use a legit address from one of my sites such as
<info at mysite.co.za>. In this case there is not much I can do about all the
"Mail undelivered" messages. Just takes my time to delete them all.
         2) They also use random names, letters and numbers before the "@"
sign so you get a sender like <xkwl3 at mysite.co.za>. My hosting provider had
a mail box called a "catchall" which then forwarded all these to my real
address. I just deleted the catchall and that put and end to all of those.

         It's a damn Pain In the A** that we have to live with these
spammers - they are seriously lowlife. The problem is that some people are
still stupid enough to buy from them and that gives them the incentive to
carry on. If they send out 1 million spams they may get 3 or 4 idiots that
do send some money so that encourages them to send out 100 million
tomorrow. Totally chews up our bandwith and costs us money and time to
delete the stuff in spite of the filters that most ISP's have in place.
There seems to be a constant battle between them and the writers of the
filters to outwit each other.

         I've often wished that some big "Mafia Boss" would get Pee'd off
with them and offer anyone who kills a proven spammer a  massive $$$
reward. We will never get rid of this scum legally so maybe it should be
done illegally. I'm not talking about the poor idiot who has allowed his
computer to become infected - I want the guys who originate it all.

         NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM A SPAMMER.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Intntl.: +2716 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans