[SEL] Cleaning rusty engine parts with electrolysis

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Jan 12 18:26:53 PST 2007

http://antique-engines.com/electrol-details.asp

During electrolysis the rust turns from orange to black. In most cases, the
rust next to the iron is reduced to iron metal. This reduced iron will form
a somewhat porous layer of new iron on the metal object being cleaned. After
electrolysis the iron object will rust very quickly unless it is protected
because this porous layer of new iron has a high surface area. The rest of
the rust may reduce to a variety of compounds depending on the compounds in
the original rust and the details of the electrolysis. Typically the black
stuff that can be rubbed off after electrolysis is a mixture of iron metal
and magnetite, Fe3O4 , an oxide of iron. Magnetite is an intermediate
product in the reduction of rust to iron metal. It is the black stuff in
magnetic recording tapes.
So once your parts are cleaned or removed from the solution, you'll want to
rinse and brush them off to remove the loose iron, dry them quickly and
completely, and protect them with primer or other rust preventative.

Bill
Runnells