Update: [SEL] Need Crank for my Stover

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 3 20:11:52 PST 2007

Hey Mike how are you ye old scoundrel? You are probably right.

The only time I ever used a crank was on a 3 HP Fairbanks Morse and I just
had the thing setting on a workbench with a clamp on it and I cranked it and
it busted off and the darn crank stayed on the shaft and was spinning like a
prop on a ME109. Scared the Betsy bugs of be and like to have brained me.
The engine finally fell off of the bench and stopped.

I am making sure that all of the pivot point bushings on the igniter trip
linkage are good and tight so that I can get a good set on the timing and it
will stay there. The engine has new rings, new wrist pin bushing, new valve
stems and springs, the valves have been ground and lapped in, the igniter
was rebuilt by Ted before he passed away so it is basically a new igniter. A
new Fuel Saver arm has been machined for the head. I know that with all of
the new parts and bushings it will be tight to start with and I figure I may
need a crank to get it spinning even with the exhaust valve held open until
I can get it spinning. The fuel pump has been rebuilt with a new plunger
being made, new spring, new check balls and new Teflon packing so it should
be good to go.

I will start putting it all back together next week and hopefully before
long I can announce to all that "she lives" again and hopefully can bring it
to Portland this year. I have not been in the last three years and hope to
make it this year.

How is the Model T running? Missed your family Christmas card this year.

Good to hear from you,

Paul