[SEL] More Pictures of the Iron Wheels

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu Feb 15 06:26:34 PST 2007

Paul,
All the steel rimmed old wheels I've seen are hammer welded as you've
noticed. You asked about why not casting the rim......it is a durability
and cost issue. Picture the kind of ruts and logs these engine carts
were pulled over a 100 years ago. Steel rims would flex and bend a
little and continue on. Occasional corrections with a hammer would make
it all good again. Cast rims are brittle and the only solution is to
beef the thickness up considerably to compensate and this drove the cost
sky high. Cast iron must have been cheap in Oz as you see a lot of large
cast rimmed wheels there.
Looking at your wheels I think I see the remnants of a single large hot
rivet in the center of the hammer weld. I've not seen this before as
most are simply hammer welded only.
A while back I was contemplating making some wheels from scratch as I
couldn't seem to find a pair of 24" Hercules cart wheels after looking a
couple of years. Dug up some articles on the manufacturing method as I
was convinced the steel spokes were cast into the hub. Sure enough that
was the case. It seems the green sand molds would not support the spokes
well enough so they developed water cooled D2 steel cavity dies to pour
the cast iron into. (You'd think they would have used H13).
As I recall when IHC moved away from the knobby style wheel hub to the
zigzig style they incorporated this steel cavity die molding method. The
spokes were upset (forged) with a "mushroom" on the hub end and a flange
on the other end about a 1/2" back from the end. The spokes were
populated into the open hub casting mold, the mold closed, and the cast
iron poured in.
The rims were made from flat stock and in the case of your rims were hot
rolled thru a set of rollers to create the sunken area. Spoke holes were
punched at the correct interval along the proper length piece of steel.
Then they were cold rolled on a 3 roll rolling machine into a slightly
larger than needed circle. The hub/spoke assy was married to the rim and
the rim was closed until it bottomed on all the spoke flanges. The rim
was then hammer welded. Then they had a machine they put the wheel
assembly in and it gripped/supported the back of the flange on the spoke
and a "hammer" device that looked a lot like a chisel came out and
hammered the end of the spoke, spreading it flat to retain the rim. This
chisel tool rotated as it hammered, leaving the surface with a radial
pattern of lines across the face. If you are lucky enough to find some
really nice old wheels you can still see this pattern.

Glad you found some wheels. What are you going to use for a 5th wheel?
If you make one from scratch make sure the front axle assy can pivot
side to side, otherwise uneven ground will put tremendous loads on your
engine base casting and possibly break it. I've been thinking about
making a couple of patterns for a generic 5th wheel for small carts (8
or10" wheels). Missy's New Way engine needs a cart. I have some nice
cast wheels but don't have the 5th wheel yet. I kind of like the design
of the Rock Island cart fifth wheel system.
See ya,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC