[SEL] How Hot Does a Muffler Get

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Feb 11 11:52:58 PST 2007

At 07:00 PM 11/02/2007, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:19:08 -0600
>From: "Paul Maples" <paulmaples at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: [SEL] How Hot Does a Muffler Get
>
>Anyone got an idea how hot a muffler on a 5 HP Vertical Stover will get?
>Looking at painting the muffler and doing a little fill work on the
>castings and need an idea of how hot it will get so I can purchase the
>right material.
>Thanks,
>Paul

Hi Paul,
         I don't know how hot they get but what we do here is sandblast the
muffler and then paint it with black 2K paint - no primer. I do not know
what you guys call 2K but it's that 2 component paint that you use on cars
(paint + hardner). I've never seen any of it peeling off a muffler from heat.
         My aircooled 8 hp Bernard (Madame) gets pretty hot and it was
burning the heat resistant matte black exhaust paint off. I repainted with
2K and now no problems.
         Give it a try.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Intntl.: +2716 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans