[SEL] Portland Set Up Reconsidered

Leroy oldengin at verizon.net
Mon Feb 5 11:58:52 PST 2007

>> Hi All,
>> I've been asked by someone who goes to all the Portland Directors
>> meetings to get input from SEL members about the new display areas at the
>> Portland August show. The recent changes (ie putting the tractors under
>> the trees and splitting the engine display area into two separated
>> sections) were to be on a trial basis only. Now reconsideration is going
>> to take place and we are being asked for our input.

Four years ago I was moved from the location with which I had been for the
past 10 -15 years. I went into the newly expanded area and loved my new
location and would go back to it in a second! Then we got moved again this
time into the new area...  I know that I could have set anywhere I wanted to
as I am in Portland in plenty of time to do so, so this decision to go into
the new area was "MY" doing. The first year many many people could not even
find the engins in this area as parking for the vendors was in front of the
exhibit area. We had no known water access nor anywhere close to obtain
water or snacks in this area.  (The horse people do not count as I will die
before supporting any of them.) I spoke that I would give it another year
with some changes, which some where made, and this was last year. At this
moment I will be located some where close to where I want or I can pack the
few old chunks of rust I bring and go back home. See I know that Portland is
big enough that my leaving will not affect them and I know someone else will
fill the spot with which I would leave open, But they might miss some of the
volunteer help I have always tried to provide and that this is what will
affect the Portland show. I provide my own porta-trees and only ask for
enough earth to set and run an engin or two or what ever for the length of
the show, and I go to bed each night praying to get me back to just one more
"PORTLAND" but maybe I need to change my prayers.        Leroy Clark