[SEL] How not to load and engine....Flywheel needed.

Keith Kinney kkinney at herculesengines.com
Sun Dec 30 20:47:00 PST 2007

Hello all.
Thanks for all the reply and suggestions.

I'm sure a new flywheel could be cast but, the cost of casting and
finding a machine shop with big enough equipment to machine the wheel
would be difficult and cost prohibitive.   I'm also sure a good
welding shop could weld the pieces back together.  But, I'm not sure
I would ever fill comfortable running it in public.

It was a blessing no one was hurt.  If that engine had fallen on
someone who know what the injuries would have been.

Now for the good news.  This is a common enough engine that I have
had 3 different people contact me about replacement flywheels.
:-)  With any luck I'm sure at least one of these will pan out and
we'll have a running engine by next summer. :-)  :-)

And Arnie, I too thought this would make a good bolt on flywheel
weight.  I think a few hours with a grinder and all remnants of those
spokes will be gone.  A year or two out in the weather and it will
look as good as any 100+ year old flywheel weight should. ;-)

As far as how to prevent something like this from happening in the
future.  Yes, a big part of the problem is the narrow spacing of the
skids. I have a set of trucks from a hay wagon that I plan to mount
this engine on.  It will make it easier to move around and provide a
wide wheelbase to prevent tipping.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.  I'll let you'all know
how things turn out.

Keith

Keith Kinney
Evansville, Indiana  USA