[SEL] Urgent engine question

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Sun Dec 30 01:35:47 PST 2007

Hi all

My R&V vertical flywheels and crankshaft are in the machine shop being
repaired and I need to know something urgently. They are sitting in the
lathe waiting for a reply.
Reg and I know where they are and the machinist is an extemely competant
steam/ engine guy, but we need to make sure. My two flywheels have been
botched in Argentina and we need to get them right.
Both flywheels are different and we are making two complete new hubs.

1.  On the flywheels, is the crankshaft keyway usually 180 Deg opposite the
flywheel counter weight.

2. Is the flywheel counter weight opposite the crank pin? so if the engine
were on TDC, the flywheel counter weights would be at the bottom.

I am probably answering my own question here, but I have the crank out and
if it were facing TDC position the keyways are also on top, so the flywheel
weights would be at the bottom, YES or NO

Regards
Peter Lowe
R&V Engine Registrar
Australia