[SEL] Ron H. - Double Keyed Shaft

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Dec 14 23:03:42 PST 2007

I don't remember how far the discussion went on the flywheel keys on
Ron's Blackstone, so please forgive me if I'm being redundant.

Today I was looking up something else in Machinery's Handbook and came
across a section on the keys that Ron was discussing a couple months
ago.

It states that for shafts six inches diameter and above, double keys
should be used.  If the torque is intermittent or the power
transmitted in both directions, then double keys should be used on
shafts as small as four inches.  The taper on these keys is he same as
a single key, but it's tapered on the two sides that contact the hub.

Also of interest are tangential keys, where two keys are stacked side-
by-side.  It's hard to describe, but you can see pictures if you look
in the index under "keys."

Rob