[SEL] Widowmaker

Ray And Erica Freeman plb at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 13 14:54:58 PST 2007

My father has a Mobilco version of one of these. They were known as swing
saws. He used it for many years in the Red Gum forests around Echuca cutting
fence posts for a living. His is shaft driven and powered by a 6 hp JAP. The
blade was swung horizontal to fell the tree. The tree was cut into suitable
lengths and then the individual logs were cut length ways into segments to
form the posts. He never had a bad accident but I can remember as a boy
seeing the blade throw a piece of loose timber back between the wheels and
crack one of his shins.These were heavy machines and it was amusing to see
him struggling on one leg trying to get the spark plug wire off while the
blade is acting like a wheel and trying to take the whole thing away at 60
mph.
It also has a clamp on bench to convert it into a firewood cutter and I've
spent many hours on it as a young feller cutting firewood.
Ray Freeman
Perth WA