[SEL] A Welding Question/Now Software

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Aug 20 12:45:26 PDT 2007

At 06:00 PM 20/08/2007, you wrote:
>From: "Elden DuRand" <edurand at mchsi.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] A Welding Question - Apprentices
>Jerry:
>I took a look at your pages.  Interesting!  I also learned a bit about
>painted background plates.
>Question:  Does your software have the ability to remove the distortion
>caused when photographing a curved plate?  I know this distortion can be
>diminished by using a long lens and backing off but the distortion will
>only be lessened.
>Take care - Elden

Hi Elden,
         No I do not have any magic software like that. I also doubt if
Photoshop could do that because you would need some kind of 3D Modelling X
photo editing software to do it perfectly - you would also need to know the
distance that the "curved end" is away from the front and a few other
measurements.
         What my software can do (and so can Photoshop) is "distort" a
picture so it follows that it can also take a distorted picture and (to a
certain degree) straighten it. I do not use this method.
         To give an example as simply as possible: Imagine a square plate
photographed from an angle (to the one side) . The resultant flat picture
will have the edge nearest the lens appearing longer than the edge on the
"further away" side (perspective). With digital imaging software you can
"drag" the far corners outward until you have them the same length as the
near edge and the pic will then appear to be rectangular. I have
occasionally done this with a rectangular plate but never an oval plate.
         To make my explanation easier to understand I have put an example
here:
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/distort/index.htm>

         It takes me many hours to draw out the artwork and I do not charge
for this time. That is why I prefer a good pic to start with. I can also
work (within reason) from a lousy picture but it takes so much longer.
         I hope this answers your question.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
See: