[SEL] Engine bearings

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Aug 17 07:06:43 PDT 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 3:07 PM, William Young wrote:

> Rob-san,  You make it sound so easy.  Just tell me how.  I know
> some of the "DON'Ts" but not enough of the "DOs."  I have melt
> crucible and pouring ladle, just don't know how to go about the
> actual pour. I also have an electronic "gun" which will give read-
> out of molten alloy temperature.   P.S.  Your Nihong-go is very
> good, but this was the first time I heard it with a Mexican accent.

Hi Bill,
The other lads have pointed you in the right direction.  Don't get
too hung up on any arcane details, just let your instincts guide
you.  This is definitely not brain surgery, and you can't really do
damage to the engine unless you're just acting nutty.

Tips:
Wear a face shield.
Play-Doh is good damming material.
A sharpened hacksaw blade can be used as a scraper.
Preheat to drive off moisture AND so your babbitt doesn't chill
before it fills the voids.

There ya go.  Get to pourin'.

Rob