[SEL] removing stuck piston - Yahoo it's out

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Sat Aug 11 22:51:28 PDT 2007

Hi All

Well what an anti-climax, I stuck a lump of 2" x 4" hardwood under the
conrod, after I removed the crankshaft, gave it two hits with a 2lb hammer
and the piston jumped over an inch. I then pushed on the timber and out it
came. I did not think it was really stuck that tight so there was no reason
for all the fuss, anyhow it is now out.. Bore is in great condion.
The engine is now completely stripped down ready for a complete examination
of what I need and what needs to be done.
For something that is 103 years old, the general condition is pretty good.
It has had a hard life in Argentina and driven to its final death by a
broken crankshaft. The engine had not seized, I think that the flywheel came
loose and it's flogged the crankshaft so badly on one side it came away at
the crank web, a clean break in the casting. Anyhow this is the least of my
concerns as it is a relatively easy repair. I have a good mate who owns an
engineering shop in Newcastle and he said, mmmmmmmm, we can fix that no
problem !!! just time needed.

This calls for a drink of that Sierra Nevada Light Ale that Rob kindly
placed in the crate for me, sshhhh, don't tell customs. ;-)))

Regards
Peter Lowe
R&V Engine Registrar
Australia