[SEL] Falk Govenor

Dave Otto ddotto at cableone.net
Wed Aug 1 18:46:44 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone

First let me start by saying thanks for all the positive comments; I enjoy
this type of work and it is fun to share the progress and to see other
members work when posted.

The 3hp Falk is really a pretty simple set up; when the weights move out as
the engine speeds up, the sleeve pulls back. There is a small lever that
pivots on a bolt, which screws into the side of the engine near the
governor. When the sleeve pulls back it moves the lever that is hooked to
the throttle Plate in the mixer. It operates pretty much like any other
throttle governed engine.

It is my understanding that all the Falk engines had some sort of system on
their governors that isolated the weight system on springs to absorb the
impulses from the engine firing and supposedly make the engine run smoother.
I think this was one of their patents, although I haven't been able to find
it doing patent searches.

I have seen two styles on the 3hp engines; the one like I made which had the
springs inside of the drive collar (and will be a real bear to assemble) and
one with only two springs that are external. I feel the later is more
common. My guess is they switched to the external springs because the other
system was a PIA. But that is just my own thought.

I think where the Falks get complicated is in the mixer; especially on the
engines 5hp and up. The 3hp has a pretty simple mixer; just needle valves
(gas, kero, and water) and a throttle plate, it also has a spring loaded
compensating valve to regulate the vacuum. It's kind of neat; a round brass
spool operating in a bore with slits. It is pretty much closed off to start
then as the vacuum pulls it open it uncovers the slits to get more air.

If you look at the picture at the following link you can see the whole deal,
I have created most of it from scratch (sure hope it works).

http://image62.webshots.com/462/5/51/48/2454551480053545466ujAKVa_ph.jpg?tra
ck_pagetag=/page/photo/homegarden/hobbiesinterests&track_action=/ViewActions
/FullSize

Dave