[SEL] What do you think? Get rid of my engines or not?

Ed Herreid bigtime64 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:05:43 PDT 2007

I wouldnt get too excited about selling them yet.  My boys are 14 and 16 and
are just getting an interest in the engines.  They both have  enjoyed
attending shows and help operating engines but just now are getting into the
understanding and learning how they work.  When they ask about why the mini
bike has no spark or runs bad I start with the basics.  It is much easier to
see how the four cycles happen on an open crank exposed pushrod engine than
a shrouded modern engine.  Or how an ignition system makes a spark if they
can see all the parts exposed.  I also use my Regimota New Holland model at
my day job.  Gets good discussions going and who knows - it may lead to some
leads on finding some new stuff someday.

I dont know if the merit badge system is the same down under but you can
become a merit badge counselor for the scouts.  Auto mechanics, Farm
mechanics and Blacksmithing(Metalwork)are some that I do and engines can
become props for explaining them too.  All the diagrams and drawings in the
book wont grab attention like a running engine. (for boys of any age)

Ed Herreid
Trevor Wisconsin