[SEL] Wico magneto

Dave Ernst shop at cccomm.net
Sun Apr 8 07:05:59 PDT 2007

Mine is not an Eisemann, it's a Makelim.  What I did prior to the tester was
usie an old base mount Bosch mag off a Caterpillar pony motor.  I cut the
aluminum top off at the coil location, discarded the front cover, installed
a good set of points and new condenser. Set the coil to be tested over the
exposed magnets, connect the leads and use an insulated screwdriver to gauge
the length of spark jump to the mag casing.  I spun it with a 3/8 hand drill
chucked to the armature.  Worked fine for a long while. But, what I did find
after getting the tester and using their values that a coil that looked good
on the Bosch wasn't up to snuff according to the Makelim tester.  I found if
the given value is exceeded, the coil has a hard time creating enough spark
to fire the plugs.
Dave
Liked your idea also.