[SEL] Re: The Austral Has Landed!

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Sat Sep 30 22:47:23 PDT 2006

>Congrats Dave,
>         Great looking engine - my little Ronnie N would fit quite nicely
> inside the water tank :-)
>         I wish you much pleasure from it.
>         Good that you got back safely - now Arnie does not need to hold
> that auction !!
>Keep the revs up (or down)
>Jerry Evans

Hi Jerry,
         A question for you (and others who may be familiar with the revs
on an 11 HP Austral.) My son (Todd) and I ran the engine for about a half
an hour today. We couldn't get the revs under 100. If we did for one or two
hits the engine would then stop. When I picked the engine up in KA a week
ago Rob and Kelley had it running about 70 RPM's. Granted it was 80 degrees
and sunny in KA and 55 degrees and damp here. However, there was no water
in the engine (or at least I think there was no water in it--none drained
from the pipe at the bottom of the water tank) and I would have thought a
half hours running would have warmed it up sufficiently to get the speed
down under 100 revs. I had the burner I'm using in place of the lamp on
both here and in KA the whole time while running the engine. Perhaps it was
not on high enough here. I'll try more heat tomorrow when Arnie is here and
see if that helps. I'd like to get it running at 69 revs so that I can
really call it MY engine!
         Dave