[SEL] Steam Ploughing - Again!

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Wed Sep 27 05:30:55 PDT 2006

5gig is a bit huge for 30 minutes even at "DVD quality". If that were the
case, then no 1 hour movie could fit onto a standard DVD.
My recordings at "DVD quality" show more like 1.5 gig for 1 hour.
Makes sense since you can get a 120+ minute high-definition movie on a
single layer of a DVD.
You can only get a file size of 4.38 gig on a standard DVD, so 30 minutes
at a 5 gig file is a bit overkill.
Typically, to record to DVD, you can get daything up to 6 hours or more
depending on the quality you need.

As a rough rule of thumb for various frame sizes (assuming a good MPEG
encoder):

Using 720 x 576/480 ('D1'), up to 2 hours at good > very good quality, up
to 3 hours for average quality.

Using 352 x 576/480 ('half D1'), up to 4 hours at good > average quality
(the pictures will be softer overall due to the reduced horizontal
resolution).
So for very good quality, 30 minutes should take no more than about 1gig.
I record at about 60 minutes to 1.2 gig or so. And on our high-def TV,
it's quite good.

Bill