[SEL] Very OT but need help

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Tue Oct 31 16:29:40 PST 2006

Rick, I think that was our California friend, Richard Allen. I talk to
him quite regularly, but haven't seen him on this list lately.

Right now I'm choking on mildew in my bedroom. I think one of the
flying squirrel babies in the attic has gotten into the attic
floor/bedroom ceiling and died. It's happened before. Nothing's to be
done but wait it out, and it takes a long time to quit stinking.

My Hammond organ also exudes mildew. It had a large mouse nest in it,
which I've cleaned out, but I can't seem to get the last of the
mildewed mouse excreta removed. I think it soaked into the felt over
the tone generator, which isn't as easily removed as one might think.
It's gradually fading, though. I've sprayed the felt with oil to
stabilize the mildew spores (like oiling a dusty dirt road), and that
helped a lot, too. The way I got the worst of it out was to wait till
one very windy spring afternoon when Jane went out for a while. Took
the back off of the organ, opened all the windows in the back of the
house (from which direction the wind was blowing), and all the windows
and the door in the front of the house. Then I took a heavy-duty leaf
blower and blasted the sucker out, right here in the front room. Talk
about a noxious cloud! But it all blew right on out of the house. I got
it all aired out and the windows shut just in time before Jane came
driving back in, and she never knew anything had gone on.

John

On Oct 31, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Richard Strobel wrote:

> Well this actually happened to me several years ago.   Squirrels got
> in the
> pvc pipe (6") under the shed floor, and that was their demise.  I
> couldn't
> go in the shop without losing lunch.  I got on the SEL with this
> problem and
> "Mr. Wizard"..that's what I called him, not Ted, (Help Doc
> John)....told me
> go go out to a local roadkill and get fly larvae and pour them into the
> pipe.  Well of course no way was I going to take the chance on being
> seen,
> so that went out the window...but the idea was honorable and probably
> would
> have worked.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA