[SEL] Very OT but need help

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Oct 31 12:40:47 PST 2006

At 07:00 PM 31/10/2006, you wrote:
>Message: 47
>Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:52:26 +0000
>From: cgandree at mchsi.com
>Subject: [SEL] Very OT but need help
>
>We live on the farm and my wife parks her car just outside our back door most
>of the time.  Recently weve discovered that mice are some how getting into
>the
>interior through the wheel wells and have taken up residence.  I set and
>trapped one mouse the other night and noticed that she has been nursing young.
>Since then they must of died some where in the heating ducts and has made the
>car almost unbareable for her to drive back in forth to work without gagging
>from the dead mouse smell.  I have already removed all four of the seats and
>most of the trunk compartment and did find much debrie and droppings but no
>actual nest.  Has anybody had this experience and how did you resolve the
>problem.  We are trying to avoid going to the dealer.  The car is a 2004
>Toyota Matrix.
>any and all advise would be appreciated.  Thankyou in advance.
>Curt & Becky Andree

>Hi Curt,
         I cannot tell you where to find the dead mice but your story
reminds me of another which may be of interest to the list.
         My girlfriend has an Isuzu pickup (Ute, Bakkie, Truck depending on
where you live) and had a lot of problems with rats. At night they liked to
crawl into the air intake plastic duct (probably nice and warm). When she
started the engine the next morning the rat would be sucked into the duct
and end up stuck in the part that narrowed down just before the air
filter.  Did you know that an Isuzu cannot run if it cannot breathe ? ;_0
         This happened a few times before I took some wire netting (chicken
wire ?) and bunched it up and forced it into the entrance to the duct.
Problem solved - after that they just kept happy by chewing through the
wiring harnesses :-)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---