[SEL] making a repo muffler

Russell Gilbert russell at ncable.com.au
Mon Oct 30 13:08:54 PST 2006

G'day folks, have been doing plenty with my petter anglo. Have the
skid frame made and also no got the engine fully pulled down. I
decided to see what I would find under all the dried up crud and oil
etc on the engine block and bugger me if it does'nt have around 80%
of the pin stripping left on it. Paint is very faded to where you
would think it to be maroon not red. Under the badges gives it away a
little. Anyway I will leave in this found state and not paint it.

Although Im not about to do anythng right away I want to set the
muffler up on the skid similar to what is shown in many skidded
engine dispalys. Only problem is that I don't have a muffler? Is
there any rules to making virtical mufflers to which I should know.
Dad suggested I see a local club member who works for a water works
company. He should be able to find us a large diametre steel water
pipe (around 16in) Looking at the cast muffler I have for the tangey
it seems one would make the input hole that same diameter as the
exhuast outlet but the outlet tip of the muffler is quite a lot
larger? Being steel would it need a baffle?? Cast one doe not have
one? The cast muffles also are tappered a little; is this important
or just cosmetic? I guess while Im here I don't suppose any of you
Ozzies have a cast one for sale?

cheers, Russell

Russell Gilbert
Sunny Sunraysia