[SEL] Gib Key Removal

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Wed Oct 25 19:11:17 PDT 2006

Paul,
    I've never had a gib key tool but have always had luck in getting
keys out.  I have a long tapered chisel here that I use.  I usually
place a small plate (maybe 1/8 thick by 1 by 2) up against the flywheel
hub and then wedge the chisel between it and the gib.  Usually it only
takes a couple of hits with the hammer and the key moves.  If the space
is too far between the plate at the hub and the gib, I simply use a
thicker plate (or use several thinner ones stacked together).  I had a
gib once that was in terrible shape as it had been hammered on.  I used
a file to straighten it out as much as possible.  I then took an old
chisel and ground one side of it down a bit so it had somewhat of a
triangular shape when looking at it on a cross section.  The triangular
shape caused it to "dig in" to the gib and didn't allow it to slide
off.  I had to replace the key but it came out.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY