[SEL] Canandaigua Pageant of Steam, Steam in NY

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sun Oct 22 14:50:25 PDT 2006

Hi Rick Strobel;
     It seems the steam list runs "hot and cold", maybe winter will bring
more activity. Smokestack seems to be getting more of the posts, possibly
because of it's ability to deal with photos. I generally "lurk" and post
when I have time.
    It's great to hear of another Corliss being preserved. I'd like to think
there will come a day when tourism and history will combine in this country
to achieve results similar to those the fellows in the U.K. are enjoying.
The level of activity there is truly astounding.
     As for the steam bug, once you're hooked, you're hooked good. I spent a
large part of my teen years with my head in a bucket of gasoline cleaning
parts of IC engines and getting them running again. Cars and girls briefly
distracted me, but I was always trying to find a way to get a steam engine.
There's some kind of soothing effect that goes with steam that I don't find
in other engines, they're just relaxing to watch and listen to. Add in the
mystical perfume of coal smoke and cylinder oil, and it's just irresistable.
Once you've been there, every time you smell coal smoke your "ears will perk
up and your tail will get bushy". Good to hear the Wachs is ready to go, if
you've been running on air, you're going to be amazed at the difference in
power on steam. If your governor is set for air, you will have to readjust
for steam, so be careful when you open the throttle on steam for the first
time. Let us know when you fire her up!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy