[SEL] Canandaigua Pageant of Steam, Steam in NY

Rick Rowlands rowlands1941 at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 21 23:10:46 PDT 2006

Good Grief Jim, you make that Rice and Sargent sound like a big engine!
The first time I saw it I thought to myself, "how cute, a mini steam
engine'. :-)

I don't know if its a rich man's hobby, I think in my case its a poor man's
obsession.  Restoring a piece of machinery like an engine requires a
substantial personal investment in time, money and perseverance. You also
have to think up some unconventional ways of getting things done.  In the
end its all worth it to see an engine restored and running again.  Along the
way you learn an incredible amount of stuff about mechanics, physics,
construction, metallurgy, paints, oils, concrete etc.

I will try to make it up to the show next year. Its really not that far to
go for a weekend trip.

Rick Rowlands