[SEL] Piston Size Needed for John Ames Stover

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 21:25:08 PDT 2006

On 22/10/06, Paul Maples <paulmaples at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Ok gang I now have all of the necessary dimensions (I think) of the piston size that John Ames needs for his 3 HP Stover:
>
> Diameter - 5.00 inches
> Height - 8.00 inches
> Wrist Pin Diameter - 1.375 inches
> Distance from center of wrist pin to top of piston - 4.500 inches
> The piston had (3) .375 inch rings.
>
> Guys if you know of anyone who has a piston like this, or a piston that will work, or someone that makes cast iron pistons please let me know or John. Is e-mail address is AMESDOLL at CS.COM

Looking through the Specialloid Piston catalogue, one of the most
comprehensive listings of pistons avaialable, there aren't that many
5" pistons in the first place, and even less that meet the other
criteria.

Waukesha had a 5" piston with 1.375" gudgeon pin but too short and the
compression height was too low at 2-27/32". WAB engine.

Hercules had a diesel piston, RXLD and DHXB engines, 2" gudgeon pin,
length 7-17/32" compression height 4-29/32".

Kermath Marine had a 5" bore, 1-1/4" gudgeon pin, 6-5/16" length,
compression height 3-11/16"

Mack 5" bore, 1-9/16" gudgeon pin, 6-13/16" length, compression height 3-11/16".

There are others, but you may be better off looking for a casting to
machine, unless one of the Hercules or Waukesha pistons are available
and could be modified.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes