[SEL] Need Spring Help

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Oct 20 09:33:24 PDT 2006

Gary,
In the example to Paul that is the amount of deflection measured at a
given weight on the scale. That's why you really need an assistant. One
to push on the spring and read off the weight, while you are reading the
compressed spring height with a machinist scale. .

For the same spring you might have made the following measurements.

50# at 3/4" (.75") of deflection.
25# at 3/8" (.375") of deflection.
70# at 1" of deflection.

Figure the krate for each measurment as:

50# / .75" = 67 #/inch
25# / .375" = 67 #/inch
70# / 1" = 70 #/inch

By taking several measurements at various compression differences, you
can both check your work and obtain an average k-rate for your spring.
You go to the catalog and look for springs in the 65 to 75 #/in k-rate.

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC