[SEL] model engine Fairbanks eclispe

R & M Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Fri Oct 20 05:34:49 PDT 2006

Machine the base as you need to on the bottom to get it sitting flat and
true. The stress on the holding down aint great.
Machine the top flat as well and then join the two halves. The height of the
bottom half dont matter a bit. Fit the top and bottom together. Drill & tap
etc.
Set it up square on your angle plate on the mill so the holes are at right
angles to the fore and aft centre line.
Bore/drill the hole for the camshaft next, in the CENTRE of the cast
protrusions for it.
Sit a dummy shaft stub in the hole and sit the cam gear in place.

 Then, using the gears to give the meshing distance,(Bush in the crank gear
to suit drill size) Start the Crank pilot hole on the join of the two
halves. Then open the hole to the bearing O/D without moving the table.
This is the way I do em and it works.
Hope this helps.
Any further problems, just ask.
(You will find you need to remove some metal from inside the base to allow
the crank and B/End to clear. I do it with a ball mill.)
Reg.

Reg & Marg Ingold.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
randmingold at hotkey.net.au