[SEL] Need Help on Stover Fuel Pump

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 16 12:45:10 PDT 2006

Folks I am working on restoring my 1905 Stover Model C Vertical 5 HP engine and today I removed the fuel pump to overhaul it as the plunger was stuck and not working. Here is a shot of the fuel pump just after I took it off of the engine. Notice the position of the plunger as it was stuck in this position:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverFuelPump1.jpg

After about an hour of soaking the old packing around the upper part of the shaft with lacquer thinner I was able to dig out all of the old packing which had set up as hard as a rock. I found that the lacquer thinner would break the packing down and I could dig it out. I felt sure that once I got the old hard packing out the plunger would free up but it did not happen. I tried soaking the plunger with Kroil oil for a couple of hours, even applied just a little heat to thin the Kroil oil even more thinking it would work it's way around the shaft but no luck.

I finally stood the pump on end on a block of oak so as not to damage the brass and gently pecked in the end of the plunger with a brass hammer. The plunger did go down into the fuel pump as you can see in this picture:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverFuelPump2.jpg

But this is where I am stuck. I cannot get the plunger freed up, it is stuck hard in this position. I currently have it setting upright in a vice and have poured Kroil oil in the packing cavity hoping that sooner or later it will wick around the plunger and free it up.

Do any of you engine guru's have any suggestions for me that might help me get this plunger out without damaging the pump? I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,

Paul