[SEL] Senior Citizen needs help starting engine LOL.

Jim and Diane jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Thu Oct 5 08:12:36 PDT 2006

An alternative to the Fero method of getting someone else to do the work is
to make a starter.  There is a version of a Ford electric starter that has a
shaft sticking about 4 or 5 inches out of the housing when all of the bendix
gear assembly is taken off.  This can be fitted with an outboard bearing
with a small rubber coated wheel between them.  This can then be mounted on
the engine cart so that it can be brought to bear on the flywheel.  In
operation the starter wheel is pressed against the flywheel, the intake
valve pushed in and the starter engaged.  When the starter is up to speed
let go of the intake spring and it ought to start.

Have to do a little thinking here to make sure the starter goes the right
way and linkage works out.  It will take a little work but not really a big
job.  W.A.P.A. has a good sized FM that starts this way and it works great.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, CA , U.S.A.
jd.kirkes at verizon.net