[SEL] floats and gas tank sealer

Elden DuRand edurand at iglou.com
Thu Nov 30 11:55:47 PST 2006

John:

One coat will probably do it but the second coat is good insurance.

After it thoroughly dries, you might want to pour some of our fine "modern" gasoline in a can and float the float in it for a few days to see how the sealer works.

I got some tank sealer from an auto parts store a few years ago that said "Alcohol proof" and soaked the float in the carb of my American LaFrance.  It looked great.

I put the whole thing together and went for a test drive.  About 5 miles out, it got real sickly and finally stopped.  I unscrewed the main jet and it was covered with sealer that had partially dissolved in the gasoline.  I finally got home after removing the needle about a half dozen more times to wipe off the goo.  That's it for me on the cheap stuff!

Take care - Elden
edurand at iglou.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand