[SEL] Re: OT Telescopic Bollards

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Sat Nov 11 18:00:32 PST 2006

Reg, I think it is a good way to stop people who shouldn't be entering
certain areas from doing it when they seem to be deliberately misusing
the bus access - the guy in the black suv/van for example - why would
you try to follow a bus at a much greater speed than the bus (which has
just moved off) unless you were deliberately trying to beat the bollard
system to go somewhere you're not allowed to go. For his air bag to go
off, he had to be doing at least 40km/h because they don't normally
deploy under that. That implies he waited until the bus was about to
move off then planted it. Couldn't be anything but deliberate. The
little white car tried twice until she got creamed. The guy in the white
delivery van who face planted on the windscreen might want to both
consider a safety belt and not going where he isn't meant to.

I fully support the closing of central parts of cities (and in some
cases towns) to traffic - allowing everyone to drive in is unmanageable
as the number of cars in the system grows without bound.

I can think of great places for them in Melbourne - there are tram only
and bus only roads here that people in cars often use defeating the
purpose of having them because they get blocked up with cars. The
special bus lanes at lights to get the bus ahead of the traffic would be
another good example.

I've seen a similar system used to good effect on bridges to change the
traffic flow - they're going to do it on the Westgate here soon.
Currently it is fixed as three lanes in each direction. They're planning
on altering the traffic with automatic bollards to allow 1, 2, 3, 4, or
5 lanes in one direction and whatever is left in the other direction to
cope with the peak traffic flows. The system is used on the Golden Gate
(although they are manually placed in holes in the deck).

I wouldn't mind a set at the bottom of my driveway to stop all the
bastards who use my drive to turn in and rip up my gravel when they
leave spraying it all over the yard, my cars and the road. I wouldn't
mind the turners if they're accelerator did not seem to be glued to the
floor when they were leaving.

Paul

pjp at steamengine.com.au
Emerald, Victoria, Australia