[SEL] Anyone Ever Used Phosphoric Acid to DeRust

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Fri Nov 10 10:09:40 PST 2006

Paul, I would feel uneasy about using the phosphoric acid at full strength
in your oil sump.  The acid not only reacts with the rust, it vigorously
goes after the base metal, as well.  Someone else posted a recommended
dilution.  I suggest you use it.

Yes, a paint store or the paint department of a hardware store should have
Ospho, or a similar product.  It consists of phosphoric acid and "metal
salts."  I don't know the chemical implication of those metal salts, but
they certainly make a big difference.  I've de-rusted with phosphoric acid
without any follow-up passivation.  After a few weeks I had worse rust than
what I started with.

Regards,

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger