[SEL] original paint

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Thu Nov 9 16:17:11 PST 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Arnie Fero wrote:
> I would definitely be interested in hearing the details.
> Tommy Turner once told me that he's mixed a small amount of paint into
> a boiled linseed oil / mineral spirits mix to add a bit of color.
> He says
> that it matched the original worn finish very nicely.

I've done individual parts using variants of the following technique
with very good results.  The exact technique you use will depend on
what you're trying to match or the look you're trying to achieve.

1. Paint the part using your regular technique, using high quality
paint, and let it dry.

2.  Using a wide-flame torch, heat the part to where the paint starts
to "uglify."  Slop the area with diesel fuel or old motor oil.  Let
it cook and keep playing the flame on the area.  You want to remove
any shine on the new paint, stain it to some degree, or maybe even
bubble it in places.  Keep going until the entire part or engine is
"uglified."

3.  After everything cools, wipe off all the slop.  Now rub on some
stove polish.

4.  Rub down the engine again using wadded up newspaper.

That's all there is to it.  If you like the look of original engines,
two things you cannot do without are linseed oil and stove polish.

Rob Skinner
www.rustyiron.com