[SEL] Intro Arthur Southwell

Arthur & Deana Southwell asouth42 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 18:34:18 PST 2006

11-7-06

Arthur Southwell here,

I started at the tender age of two working on machinery. I used the little
tool kit SINGER supplied with their sewing machines to disassemble mother's
old treadle sewing machine. This country was, like the rest of the world,
involved in WW II and no spare parts were to be had. The "Singer Repairman"
couldn't put the machine back into working order. Needless to say, my bottom
got tore up next. But, I'm making progress, today I can usually "fix" what I
disassemble.

I left high school behind in June 1959, enlisted in the Air Force in Aug.
1959 and graduated from Jet Acft. Mechanic's school in Feb. 1960. Passed the
GED in Apr. 1960. I returned to my home town, Arcadia Florida, in 1963 and
went to work at the John Deere Dealership in Zolfo Springs Florida. I worked
there several years and then a couple of other places a few years. In 1966 I
jumped into self employment for six years. In 1972 my G.I. Bill was going to
run out in 18 months, so I packed it in and entered Mid Florida Tech to
study for my aircraft and power plant mechanic's license. A short time
before I had applied for and received a Vocational Teaching Certificate. I
landed a night job teaching Auto Mechanic's class at Mid Fla. Tech. making
me a student by day and a teacher at night. In 1973 I took a full time
teaching job at our local high school. I put in six years teaching Small
Engines and Automotive Mechanic's classes. The politics got to be more than
I wanted to put up with, so I went back to full time self employment in the
summer of 1980.

Deana and I have been married 32 years. I have three children from my first
marriage. Six grand children and two great grand children. I was born in
Arcadia, been here all but the years of enlistment, and can't wait to sell
out and leave for greener pastures. NO RUST POLICE in Alabama off side the
city limits!

I'm currently a ASE certified Master Mechanic, also an FAA certificated
aircraft & power plant mechanic. I'm a private pilot, single engine land &
glider.
Come Jan. 2007, I'll be sixty five,and looking forward to sixty six. You
young guys keep working and paying into S.S. so I can stay semi-retired.

I have been collecting, restoring, and showing Flywheel engines since 1968.
I was a member of the FLORIDA FLYWHEELERS ANTIQUE ENGINE CLUB (
http://www.old-engine.com/flywheel.htm ) from about 1984 until 2003. They
have a nice show grounds East of Ft. Meade FL.

I collect a lot of different types of old things. Tractors, engines,
implements, machinery, and such.
Some of the items I have are: B&S engines, models A, B, WI, N, 5S, 6S, 9,
14, 23 AFB.

Delco light 32V (2) 850s, and a Delco 12V.

IHC engines, LBB 3-5 HP, UD6, UD14, U2A coupled to an antique FBM 4X4 pump.

Hercules HP 1 ¾ S.
Olds air-cooled, approx. 5 HP (no name plate). An Associated 4 Mule team (4
HP).

Tractors: 1953 JD 40S. 1963 Case 734 Diesel. 1958 JD 60. 1962? Case 444
(Pound Grove Tractor-LPG). IHC-McCormick Super A. 1937 Case 'C'.

1930 Ford Mod. A, tractor conversion, a work in progress

I have lots of other engines and things but it would take to long to
name them. BTW, for Dave's benefit, I have several MAYTAGS!

I have two disassembled Cessna 172s. 1958 & 1960-B. I have high hopes of
getting the 172B flying in the next year.

I'm an automotive component Rebuilder/Remanufacturer. I rebuild
starters, alternators, generators and other DC electrical items as well as
custom work on clutches, brake shoes, carburetors, and water pumps.

This may be more than you care to know, but .................

Regards,
Arthur

Arthur Southwell
Arthur Southwell Rebuilding