[SEL] Re: East coasters/intro

john ray jtray26 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 08:10:09 PST 2006

Hi folks!

  First, thanks to all of you who have offered to show your collections to a new guy!  I'm very excited about the trip to MD to get my first engine, and I'm looking forward to meeting some more engine guys and gals.

  I'd like to take a minute or two of your time to introduce myself.  I grew up in Hendersonville, NC the son of a school teacher and a mechanic.  My parents are two of the most kind, patient and caring people on this Earth (I brag on them every chance I get).  I went off to college in 1998.  I spent four years at UNC-Chapel Hill - quite a change from my quiet mountain upbringing.  When I graduated college, I began a short-lived career in promotional advertising and got married to the love of my life.   Her name is Elizabeth, and she puts up with my old-iron habits very well (most of the time).  After law school I moved my little family back home to the mountains.  I'm now a 26-year-old attorney (yep, still VERY wet behind the ears) in Hendersonville, NC.  We are expecting our first child in June...A new generation of gear heads!

  I have had a love affair with antique machinery since I was old enough to walk...I got my first old car at the age of 14.  It was a sky blue 1952 Chevrolet sedan - what a TANK!  I bought it out of my neighbor's hay barn for $600.  I kept the '52 around for a while, then I traded it for a 1941 3/4 ton Chevrolet truck.  I loved that old truck, but it proved to be a little bit young for my taste, so I traded it for a 1926 Ford model T coupe.  My dad and I drove to Kansas to get the T (a real adventure...I won't bore you with the whole story).  We trailered it home and began the assessment process.  It was covered in 50 years of barn dust and grime...very exciting!  The old thing was totally worn out mechanically, so we had to pull the whole thing down, front to back, and restore EVERYTHING mechanical on the car.  The old body is in great shape and it has a lot of "character."  I still have the T and it is a blast to tour around in on sunny afternoons.  I have also recently
 acquired a 1928 Chevrolet 1-ton truck complete with its original wooden wagon shop cab.  I'm in the process of getting its restoration underway.  It'll look great at the shows with the bed full of old engine stuff and refreshments!!!

  So...That brings me to engines.  I went to the antique power show over at the ag center in Asheville a couple of weeks ago...Now I have the antique engine bug (I think it's more like a virus).  I met Curt Holland and a lot of other great folks there and had a fantastic time.  With some gentle guidance from Curt, I've bought myself an Alamo Blue Line that's in need of some "TLC."  I'm looking forward to getting started on my engine and becoming a productive part of the hobby.  Every engine seem to be different - a new adventure in every one.

  Thanks again!  I look forward to getting to know you folks on the SEL, and seeing a lot of you at some shows next season (hopefully with my Alamo ticking along somewhere nearby).

  Sincerely,
  Tyler Ray

  PS:  I'm probably going to have MANY questions...some of which will be VERY ignorant.  Please forgive me in advance :)

Curt <curt at imc-group.com> wrote:
  John,
I know it was on eBay and the auction was over Sunday evening. Sounds
like it is the same one. The lucky bidder, Tyler Ray, tells me he is
subscribed to the SEL now, and perhaps this is a good time for him to
pipe up and tell us a little something about himself. I met him at the
Arden show two weekends ago and he's a good fellow. They stopped by our
house last evening for a nice visit. Of course we stumbled thru the very
dark yard and over to the engine shed to run a few engines by
flashlight. Ahh life is good.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
P.S. I cc:d this over to the SEL since I don't think Tyler is on
oldengine.org yet. Tyler, if you reply, please "reply all" and your post
will go to both lists.