[SEL] Intro

Bruce Younger sluggo54 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 18:20:15 PST 2006

11/2006

I'm 63, married to Paula for 41 years.  We met in the bedroom of the girl
next door, but that's another story.  We have two kids.  Bob is a police
officer in Fort Collins, Colorado.  He's married to Michelle, who is a
stay-at-home mom to our ten and four year old granddaughters.  Our daughter,
Sarah, is married to Sean.  He's a member of the IT staff at the University
of Missouri and a recent graduate.  Sarah is a pediatrician, in her third
year of residency.  She and Sean became the parents of yet another
granddaughter in February of 2006.

I was born and raised in the Kansas City area.  In the final semester of my
senior year of college in 1966, my friends and neighbors sent me greetings.
Spent boot camp at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, AIT at Fort Devens, MA for a year
learning the beginnings of cryptology, as well as becoming proficient in
"ditties" - then referred to as international Morse Code.  Never used it,
but was good at it.  Spent a bit more than a year in RVN, then five more in
Colorado Springs, CO.  We moved back to the Kansas City area in 1973.  I’ve
now forgotten my work history, as the seven-day weekend arrived on St
Patrick’s Day of this year.

I still have but the one engine, as time, space, and money always seem
spoken for prior to hobby time.  My engine is the universally reviled F-M
dishpan, a 2 HP dual-fuel example.  She rides on the original stamped steel
skid, which is bolted to the original truck.  I "think" it has its original
paint, too.  I'd like at least one more before I die, a hit and miss.
Doesn't matter much which make or style, as long as it putts properly.  A
nearby farmer who passed away several years ago, had maybe 50 flywheel
engines.  So far, his heirs will not even discuss the matter 8-(.

I exercise the .45 left over from pistol team days, and now and then break
out the camera.  Oh, and once I hauled a Foos, Mike Tucker's,  from Nebraska
to Kansas City, just so I could say I'd had an exotic in the truck.

I've had the good fortune and pleasure of meeting several list members,
including Ted and Jennifer Brookover, Calvin and Dixie Brookover, Tim
Christoff, Ray France, George Vaughan, Charley Bryant, and Mark Bookout.
Without exception, each has been friendly and helpful.  Try to find that in
any other hobby!  The SEL has been such a fount of information and
entertainment.   I appreciate the list and all its members immensely.

As of May of this year, we have sold nearly all our possessions, and bought
a large caravan/5th wheel trailer and a diesel pickup to serve as a tug,
Since then, we’ve put 13K miles on the rig, and visited TN, KY, MO, IL, IA,
NE, SD, WY, MT, CO, OK, and seen a lot more of KS.  We’ll keep doing this
until we can’t or tire of it, then find a place to light.  Should be able to
make more engine shows now!

Bruce Younger
Somewhere,  USA

Bruce Younger
05G HHC 313 RR Bn 3/67-4/68
Madison, SD
sluggo54 at hotmail.com

"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man and those that have hunted
armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else
thereafter."
E. Hemingway